Ushuaia is a city placed in the extreme South of Argentina and it’s part of Tierra del Fuego (Land of Fire), an island that we share with Chile. This city is at the end of the world and if you check the map you’ll see that’s absolutely true! It’s quite close to Antarctica! I’ve visited Ushuaia some years ago and I loved it! It’s not a huge city but it has a lot of things to do and see. Many cruises stop in this city, I remember there was a big one when I was there.
There are many tourist attractions with the same name: The Lighthouse of The End of the World, The Prison of The End of The World and The Train of The End of The World! And there’s a historical connection between some of these places. At the beginning of the XX Century, the prisoners of the jail were moved by train to work in mining and cutting down trees. The worst criminals were imprisoned in this jail because of the isolation and the extreme cold. I traveled to Ushuaia in March, still Summer in this hemisphere, and it snowed! This was the only time that I experienced real snow!
Did you know that Leonardo DiCaprio shot in Ushuaia many scenes of “The Revenant” (the movie that gave him the Oscar)? Well, there are other activities you can enjoy in the city, besides shooting a winter movie.
Things to do and see in Ushuaia
– Skiing and other winter sports
– Hike to Laguna Esmeralda
– Navigation through the Beagle Channel
– Visiting other islands with penguins and seals
– Go to Tierra del Fuego National Park and travel on The Train of The End of The World
– Trekking and hiking to glaciers and lakes
– Enjoy very special food like spider crab, Patagonian lamb, and black hake
– Visit The Prison of The End of The World
Are you planning to visit Patagonia? Check this article: My trip to Patagonia Argentina